Tuesday, October 03, 2006

San Joaquin's Constitution

Word is now out in cyberspace that the Episcopal diocese in which I serve, San Joaquin, will be considering a proposal at its next convention (first weekend in December) that, if passed in two successive regular annual conventions (the second time by a concurrent two-thirds vote among both the clergy and the lay delegates), would amend our constitution in such a way as would effectively remove us from the Episcopal Church. This is a pretty big story, and I expect that it might dominate Anglican discourse in this country for the next couple of months.

I have a lot to say about this. For the time being, however, I'm not going to be saying it in venues that extend beyond the Diocese of San Joaquin. Like this blog. By means of our diocesan intranet, I have invited my brothers and sisters here to similarly restrict their public comments. This is something we need to debate in good faith locally, and it will not be helpful if we are trading broadsides in the blogsphere and on message boards. My own commitment, of course, is contingent on buy-in from others. If members of the diocese choose to carry on the debate in front of the whole world, I reserve the right to do the same. But I hope this doesn't happen.

No comments: